top of page
  • murraylowerysimpso

AMOS Captures Some Fish

Things have been busy lately, and there hasn't really been much occasion for taking AMOS out in the field. Over the last week though, I was able to develop some software for saving 30 fps 1920 x 1080 video files on AMOS, while still continuing to do all of its regular navigation and data saving stuff. Testing and debugging was done in the pool, and everything seemed to be working well.

Last Friday, I took AMOS out to Kelly's Creek to test how the navigation, sensor data saving, and video recording all worked together. I was worried that the addition of the video recording in a real environment would slow down the other functions, possibly resulting in sluggish handling or missed data samples. Everything seemed to work pretty well though, although when I had plotted the course the night before, I had not realized how low the water level actually was. The waterline was about 10 m in from where it appeared to be on the ArcGIS map that was used to setup the course. Unfortunately, the WeatherBox that housed the camera underneath AMOS struck a rock at full speed, and the 3-D printed extension piece that connected it to the main electronics enclosure snapped under the strain. The WeatherBox was quickly flooded, but I was following close behind in the kayak and was able to turn off AMOS's power switch a few seconds later. Clearly a more flexible extension piece will be required here. Perhaps something like a short rubber hose could work?

Despite this accident, the rest of the test was a success. Depth, temperature, and conductivity data were all recorded normally, AMOS navigated itself normally, and 9 video files were recorded, mostly of air bubbles and river vegetation, but at 1:10 of the video below, you can see 3 small fish swimming by for a few seconds:

The end of the above video is where the WeatherBox struck the rock and the camera module was flooded. Unlike the last camera flooding which occurred in salt water, this one was in fresh water, and after storing the camera module in a bag of desiccant for 12 hours, it was confirmed to be unharmed.

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page